Call Dan: 613-867-4437 or Alvina: 613-796-1449

Rural Ottawa West

<Back to Ottawa Neighbourhoods

<Check out our Listings in Rural Ottawa West

Find Recreation Centres, Parks, Libraries, Emergency Services and much more by Postal code

Lots of recreation activities, spacious land, and not far from the heart of city.

The borders of Ottawa extend as far west as Arnprior which is a short 30 minute drive from Kanata. You'll find the following neighbourhoods in Rural Ottawa West:


Arnprior is a town in Renfrew County, in the eastern portion of Southern OntarioCanada. It is located at the confluence of the Madawaska River and the Ottawa River in the Ottawa Valley. Arnprior has experienced significant growth in populations with the widening of the 417 Provincial Highway to four lanes. The Town experienced an increase in population by 5.4% from 2011 to 2016 and the current population is 10426 .

Arnprior is known for its ability to attract many great sporting events that attract large crowds to the area such as the 2014 North American Orienteering Championships, the 2013 Women’s Hockey Championships, the 2012 World Broomball Championships, the 2010 Canadian Broomball Championship, and the 2008 Telus Cup – Midget Championship to name a few.

Hockey is the only municipally sponsored sport in Arnprior. The Arnprior Packers represent the town in Eastern Ontario Junior B Hockey League, which is the town's highest level of competition in this sport. The games are played at the Nick Smith Centre which features two year round ice rinks, a 25-metre indoor swimming pool, a fitness centre and a community hall with kitchen. The two ice rinks each have ice surface measuring 200' X 85'. Arena 'A' seating capacity of over 2,000; standing and seated 4,000 capacity.

Curling was established, as an open-air sport in the Arnprior area, around 1865. The Arnprior Curling Club now occupies a 4-sheet building on Galvin Street (est. 1970).The highest level of competition hosted by the club are the Valley League and the Low Cup.

Google Maps link
Oldest house: Built in 1845


More on Town of Arnprior

Fitzroy Harbour

Fitzroy Harbour is a small village within the city of Ottawa in eastern Ontario, Canada. It is located on the Ottawa River at the mouth of the Carp River. A branch of the Mississippi River, known as the Snye, also empties into the Ottawa to the west of the village.

Fitzroy Provincial Parkis located nearby.

The village has one school located within it, St. Michael's Catholic school. Fitzroy Harbour Public School was closed in 2006. There are also three churches: St Michael's (Catholic), St. George's (Anglican) and St. Andrew's 



Google Maps link
Oldest house: Built in 1825


More on Fitzroy Harbour

Constance Bay

Google Maps link

Constance Bay was named by French Fur Traders after Simon Constant who was a member of the Algonquin First Nation and who was in the area before white settlers arrived. T The community surrounds the Torbolton Forest (a 147 Hectare managed green space and home to rare plant life, animals and birds) and Buckham’s Bay along the Ottawa River.

Constance Bay is a population centre in West Carleton-March Ward in the rural northwest of the City of Ottawa. Prior to amalgamation in 2001, the community was part of West Carleton Township. It is situated 25km northwest of the suburb of Kanata. The community surrounds the Torbolton Forest (a protected and managed green-space) and is located on a peninsula between Constance and Buckam’s Bay on the Ottawa River. According to the Canada 2011 Census, the population of the community was 2,364. 86% of dwellings are occupied by usual residents

The community has services of a (licensed) general store, 2 restaurants, a bar/lounge, Pharmacy and a chapel. The Royal Canadian Legion, Branch 616 is also located in the village.

During the summer months the community offers 2 beaches, recreational boating, water skiing, canoeing, hiking, horseback riding, and cycling. During the winter months there is ice fishing, snowmobiling, cross-country skiing, ice skating and horseback riding.

A Community Centre is located in the centre of the community, the centre's operation is overseen by the Constance & Buckham's Bay Community Association. The Community Centre includes a free skateboard park along with 2 baseball diamonds (both fully illuminated for night play), soccer fields (full and mini), play-structure, outdoor ice rink, and a concession stand operated by community volunteers.

Oldest house: Built in 1908

More on Constance Bay



Google Maps link

Galetta is a village in eastern Ontario, Canada, located near the mouth of the Mississippi River where it flows into the Ottawa River. Once part of Fitzroy Township and later West Carleton Township, it is now part of the City of Ottawa.

Like many settlements in the Ottawa Valley, Galetta had its origin when private entrepreneurs sought to exploit the power potential of its rivers for driving a commercial mill.The area was first settled in 1823 when Andrew Forbes settled on the 6th Line about a mile east of Galetta. James Riddell also settled on the 6th Line at the Mississippi as did Joshua Burr and James Steen. James Hubbell leased the land on which the water privileges at the falls were located. After some 20 years, however, Hubbell had done nothing to develop the potential of the falls and he sold the rights to James Steen .The Galetta Electric Light Company was formed in 1907 to provide electricity for the Town of Arnprior. This powerhouse subsequently provided power locally to the Village of Galetta and to the Kingdon Mine. The Kingdon Lead Mine brought another wave of economic boom to the area when it was re-activated in 1914 to meet the demand for lead during WW I. The mine then operated continually until it was closed in 1931.

Once a centre of thriving industries, Galetta is now a peaceful village that is home mostly to young people who work elsewhere and to retirees who have been drawn to this picturesque location on the Mississippi River.

Oldest house: Built in 1823

More on Galetta


Google Maps link

In 1855 the community was named after the fortress of Kinbum on the River Dneiper in present-day Ukraine which was attacked by the British during the Crimean War.
Oldest house: Built in 1840

More on Kinburn


Google Maps link

Carp is bounded by Thomas A. Dolan Parkway to the north, March Road to the south, Upper Dwyer Hill Road to the east and the Ottawa River to the west. Carp, a village to the west of Ottawa, was named after the Carp River that runs through the majority of the area. This river initially took its name due to the overwhelming amount of the carp fish that lived within it (fish said by early French explorers to be suckers and mud-pout, that in French translate as carpe.)  The main street was formerly a section of the Trans-Canada Highway and carried much of the traffic coming from the west into Ottawa; the village was bypassed with the development of the Highway 417. Carp is renowned the Diefenbunker, now Canada’s Cold War museum located just north of the village, and formerly a top-secret underground bunker built to house key members of the government in the event of a nuclear attack on Ottawa. Carp is also home to the corporate HQ of Canadian Space Services which occupies the former site of a satellite communications station that provided communications between all NATO countries, 1960-1999. The Carp Exhibit Hall, red-painted with white trim, is one of the few remaining octagonal frame fairground buildings in Ontario and continues to function as the main fairground hall for the Carp Fair held in September each year since 1880 and hosts the popular Carp Farmers’ Market held each Saturday (May to October).  With the amalgamation of municipal governments in the region in 2001, Carp is now governed as part of the new City of Ottawa. Carp is used as a mailing address for most of the former Huntley Township. As such, residents of this large area will identify themselves as living in Carp although they may live far from the village proper.
Oldest house: Built in 1845.

More on Carp

Dunrobin and Dunrobin Shores

Google Maps link


The Dunrobin Community Association defines the community boundaries as Murphy Sideroad, Constance Lake Road and Berry Sideroad on the south, the Ottawa River to the east, a line following Limestone Road to Kinburn Sideroad to Stonecrest Road to Thomas A. Dolan Parkway to Marchhurst Road, and on the north by a line following Kilmaurs Sideroad to Woodkilton Road to Kinburn Sideroad to Constance Creek on the north.

Dunrobin took its name from Dunrobin Castle near Inverness, Scotland and was settled in the 19th century at the corner of Dunrobin Road and Thomas A. Dolan Parkway. While originally started as an agricultural community it now serves mostly as a focal point within a larger community that has a mixed population of farmers, commuters who work in Kanata and Ottawa-Gatineau, cottagers and retirees.

Oldest house: Built in 1860 Average house age

More on Dunrobin Shores

<Ottawa Neighbourhoods Guide

<Check out our Listings in Rural Ottawa West

<Ottawa Walk-in Clinics and Hospitals

<Getting Around Ottawa